There are three types of diabetes:
- Type 1
- Type 2
- Gestational diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes, accounting for about 95% of diabetic patients. If properly managed, it usually does not require insulin therapy.
Type 1 diabetes, on the other hand, requires insulin therapy, and accounts for less than 5% of diabetics.
Gestational diabetes refers to development of diabetes during pregnancy. After pregnancy ends, most of these women return to “normal” blood glucose ranges. However, within 10 years, more than 50% of women with gestational diabetes will develop Type 2 diabetes.
Old classification of Type of Diabetes
In the past, Type 2 diabetes was also called NIDDM (non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus) or Adult Onset Diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes was called IDDM (insulin dependent diabetes mellitus) or Juvenile Onset Diabetes.
We have stopped using these older terms because they can be inaccurate and misleading.
For example, some Type 2 diabetic patients end up on insulin (due to improper treatment) and many physicians mistakenly classify these patients as IDDM (Type 1).
Although Type 1 diabetes typically develops at a young age, it can develop in an adult. In the past, most young people with diabetes were classified as Type 1. However, sometimes Type 2 diabetes develops in teenagers. Actually, Type 2 diabetes in teenagers is on an alarming rise, primarily due to our “fast food culture” and a lack of physical activity in the teenage population.
For more details, please refer to my book, “Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Scientifically.”
Zaidi Vitamins – Dr. Z’s Vitamins
Blog Posts Categories
- cancer (1)
- Complications of Diabetes (9)
- COVID (5)
- Diabetes (5)
- diet (2)
- fatigue (3)
- Long COVID (1)
- magnesium (2)
- Natural Remedies (2)
- Prevention of COVID (1)
- Stress Management (7)
- Thyroid (5)
- Treatment of COVID (1)
- Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes (5)
- tsh (1)
- Type 1 diabetes (1)
- Type 2 diabetes (5)
- ulcerative colitis (3)
- Uncategorized (6)
- URDU poems (1)
- Vitamin D (4)
- vitamins (1)
Search Dr.Zaidi’s Articles
Dr. Zaidi’s Vitamins – Free Shipping
- Best Diabetic Multivitamin -Endocrinologist Formulated Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Magnesium Supplements: Health Benefits, Side-effects, Various Types Rated 5.00 out of 5
- 17 Stress and Anxiety Vitamins in One Capsule - Stress Buster Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Vitamin D3 with K2 - A Perfect Combination by Dr. Z's Vitamins Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Methyl B12 and Methyl Folate - ZARY - Chewable Tablets Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Dr. Z's Vitamins - ZINC plus COPPER: Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5$19.95
- Six Herbs for Diabetes In One Capsule - Diaherbs Rated 5.00 out of 5
- DHEA by Dr. Z's Vitamins - Highest Quality - Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5