Parathyroid glands are located in the neck just behind the thyroid gland, hence the name parathyroid glands. In most people, there are a total of four parathyroid glands, but some may have three while others may have five.
The function of the parathyroid glands is to regulate calcium and phosphorus metabolism in the body.
Causes of Hypoparathyroidism
The most common cause for is surgical removal of the parathyroid glands at the time of thyroid surgery.
Rarely, it can be congenital or acquired as an autoimmune disorder.
Symptoms of Hypoparathyroidism
Hypoparathyroidism results in a low level of blood calcium and a high level of blood phosphorus.
Symptoms are due to the low calcium level and include muscle spasms and twitching.
A severely low calcium level can cause cardiac arrest.
Treatment of Hypoparathyroidism
Treatment of a patient with hypoparathyroidism is with calcium and vitamin D supplementation in high doses.
Close monitoring of calcium and phosphorus is important. You should be under the care of an experienced endocrinologist in this regard.
Zaidi Vitamins – Dr. Z’s Vitamins
Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Scientifically
Alternative To Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid & NP Thyroid
Blog Posts Categories
Search Dr.Zaidi’s Articles
Dr. Zaidi’s Vitamins – Free Shipping
- Best Diabetic Multivitamin -Endocrinologist Formulated Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Magnesium Supplements: Health Benefits, Side-effects, Various Types Rated 5.00 out of 5
- 17 Stress and Anxiety Vitamins in One Capsule - Stress Buster Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Methyl B12 and Methyl Folate - ZARY - Chewable Tablets Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Vitamin D3 with K2 - A Perfect Combination by Dr. Z's Vitamins Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Dr. Z's Vitamins - ZINC plus COPPER: Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5$19.95
- Six Herbs for Diabetes In One Capsule - Diaherbs Rated 5.00 out of 5
- DHEA by Dr. Z's Vitamins - Highest Quality - Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5