Poor circulation in diabetes is a common phenomenon. Often it affects their legs, which can eventually lead to amputation. The typical symptom of poor circulation is pain in the legs, especially while walking, that subsides upon resting. In severe cases, this pain is present even at rest.
Poor circulation develops due to narrowing of the arterial blood vessels, a complication of Insulin Resistance Syndrome. Narrowing of blood vessels is a generalized process affecting all
arterial blood vessels in the body. If you have blockages of the coronary arteries in your heart, you may also have blockages in the arterial blood vessels in your legs, brain and intestines.
I often see patients who have undergone angioplasty of their heart arteries but are totally unaware that they may also have poor circulation in their legs.
How to diagnose Poor Circulation In Legs
You should have a Doppler ultrasound test of your leg arteries if you have symptoms of poor circulation. This is a simple, noninvasive, outpatient test that can easily diagnose peripheral arterial disease in the legs.
In most patients, treatment is with medications and no further testing is required. In patients with severe peripheral arterial disease, angioplasty or surgery is sometimes required. In these patients, an angiogram of the leg arteries is done prior to an angioplasty or surgery.
Treatment of Poor Circulation In Legs
Prevention is the best treatment. Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment of diabetes can prevent this devastating complication of diabetes. With my five-step treatment approach to diabetes, I have been able to prevent leg amputation in the vast majority of my patients.
Once you’ve developed poor circulation in your legs, aggressive control of diabetes and other components of Insulin Resistance Syndrome with appropriate drugs can prevent further progression of this disease and may save your limbs.
Patients who smoke cigarettes are putting fuel on the fire. Smokers must quit smoking in order to prevent leg amputation.
Certain drugs such as Trental (pentoxifylline) and Pletal (cilostazol) may somewhat help in the treatment of poor circulation.
Excerpts from my book, “Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Scientifically”
Zaidi Vitamins – Dr. Z’s Vitamins
Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Scientifically
Alternative To Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid & NP Thyroid
Blog Posts Categories
Search Dr.Zaidi’s Articles
Dr. Zaidi’s Vitamins – Free Shipping
- Best Diabetic Multivitamin -Endocrinologist Formulated Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Magnesium Supplements: Health Benefits, Side-effects, Various Types Rated 5.00 out of 5
- 17 Stress and Anxiety Vitamins in One Capsule - Stress Buster Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Methyl B12 and Methyl Folate - ZARY - Chewable Tablets Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Vitamin D3 with K2 - A Perfect Combination by Dr. Z's Vitamins Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Dr. Z's Vitamins - ZINC plus COPPER: Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5$19.95
- Six Herbs for Diabetes In One Capsule - Diaherbs Rated 5.00 out of 5
- DHEA by Dr. Z's Vitamins - Highest Quality - Made in USA Rated 5.00 out of 5