Diabetic eye disease is a serious complication of diabetes. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in the U.S. Fortunately, this debilitating condition can be prevented by aggressive treatment of diabetes right from the start.
What is Diabetic Eye Disease?
Diabetes gradually affects eyes over a period of years. It affects the innermost layer of the eye, known as the retina. Hence, the condition is known as diabetic retinopathy. It is of two types:
- Diabetic background retinopathy
- Diabetic proliferative retinopathy
Diabetic background retinopathy is less dangerous whereas Diabetic proliferative retinopathy is seriously dangerous condition. It can threaten your eyesight.
In addition, diabetic are more prone to develop cataract, eye infections and macular degeneration.
How To Prevent Diabetic eye Disease?
While various treatments are available to treat diabetic eye disease, prevention is your best option. At the Jamila Diabetes & Endocrine Medical Center, I have been able to prevent diabetic retinopathy in the vast majority of my patients.
Outline of My approach to Prevent Diabetic Eye Disease:
- Aggressive Control of Blood Glucose in Most Type 2 Diabetic Patients, but without the risk of Hypoglycemia. Therefore, I avoid insulin in my Type 2 diabetics, which is the most common cause of hypoglycemia. Using my 5-step approach, I aim for a HbA1c less than 6.0%.
- Aggressive Control of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension occurs much more frequently in patients with diabetes. Hypertension itself can cause eye damage. Therefore, the combination of hypertension and diabetes is very detrimental for eyes. Blood pressure should be less than 130/85 mm Hg in a diabetic patient.
Zaidi Vitamins – Dr. Z’s Vitamins
Alternative To Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid & NP Thyroid
Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Scientifically
Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to COVID-19
Blog Posts Categories
Search Dr.Zaidi’s Articles
Dr. Zaidi’s Vitamins – Free Shipping
- Best Diabetic Multivitamin - Endocrinologist Formulated Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Magnesium Supplements: Health Benefits, Side-effects, Various Types Rated 5.00 out of 5
- 17 Stress and Anxiety Vitamins in One Capsule - Stress Buster Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Methyl B12 and Methyl Folate - ZARY - Chewable Tablets Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Vitamin D3 with K2 - A Perfect Combination Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Six Herbs for Diabetes In One Capsule - Diaherbs Rated 5.00 out of 5
- ZINC plus COPPER: from a GMP-Certified facility in the USA Rated 5.00 out of 5
- DHEA Supplements - Science based Benefits, Side-effects, Dose Rated 5.00 out of 5$9.95