How to be stress free in a stressed out world, you ask?
Just remember my quote – Keep Your Mind Where Your Body Is.
With few exceptions, most people stay in a dream-like state. They stay lost in the events that happened years ago or miles away or may not have happened at all – But may happen says the mind. The root cause of your busy mind is the Acquired Self, which actually is not even you. It is your false self and is a product of psychosocial conditioning as you grow up in a society.
In this half-asleep state of the busy mind, you often experience all of the emotions associated with the events of the past and the future. These emotions may take the form of anger, guilt, sadness, jealousy, fear, excitement ………..
Stress Causes More Harm To Your Health Than You May Think
Emotional stress triggers chemical changes in your brain as well as the rest of the body which can cause a lot of harm to your health. For example, emotional stress causes elevated cortisol level which increases your risk of weight gain, acne, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, osteoporosis and memory loss.
Emotional stress in the form of fear and anger also increases your adrenaline level – which increases your risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke and memory loss. High adrenaline level also weakens your immune system and increases risk of Covid-19, cold, flu, other infections and even cancer. Most people know that a healthy immune system is important to fight off infections, but they may not be aware that a healthy immune system also kills cancer cells.
In addition, when you are not fully aware of the Now, you are more prone to accidents.
How To Be Stress Free In A Stressed Out World
On the other hand, when you are in Now, there is no emotional stress. Also you avoid accidents. In fact, you function a lot better in whatever you do.
So how do you stay in the Now? One very practical, easy and effective way – Keep Your Mind where Body Is.
Pause for a moment right now and pay attention to:
- what you see
- what you hear
- what you smell
- what you taste
- what you touch
Don’t think, just observe. Experience what is in the Now. The moment you pay full attention to the Now, you are free of emotional stress. This is how powerful this simple step is.
Real Life Examples How To Be Stress Free In A Stressed Out World
- When you drive, keep your attention on the road: Be aware of the other cars, the median in the road, the trees, the electricity poles………… This will minimize your odds of any accident. In addition, it will prevent the emotional stress of the past and future.
- When you sit by yourself in your backyard, pay attention to the sky, trees, houses…………. instead of thinking about the past and the future.
- When you clean dishes, pay full attention to your act of washing. This will prevent emotional stress which arises if you don’t like doing dishes. It will also prevent any dishes breaking, any cuts from cleaning knives or any scalding that may arise if the water is too hot.
- When you take a flight of stairs, pay attention to every step you take. This will prevent any emotional stress if you don’t like to take the stairs. You will also avoid accidents.
- When you walk out of a restaurant, pay attention to your steps, especially at the curb. Most falls happen when people don’t pay attention while walking.
So, Keep your mind where your body is – This will keep you stress free in a stressed out world.