Methylcobalamin, 5 MTHF Combination formula is ZARY. Methylcobalamin is the active form of Vitamin B12. 5-MTHF is the active form of Folate/folic acid
1. Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)
Vitamin B12 helps in the repair of DNA in every cell. It is particularly important for the health of the brain, nerves, blood cells, fatty acids metabolism, gastrointestinal tract and heart.
Symptoms of Low vitamin B 12:
- Lack of energy
- Tingling and numbness in the feet and hands due to peripheral neuropathy
- Memory loss
- Abnormal gait and lack of balance
- Burning of the tongue
- Poor appetite
- Constipation alternating with diarrhea
- Vague abdominal pain
- Increase in the level of Homocysteine which is a risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
Who is at risk for low Vitamin B12?
- Vegetarian/Vegan, because vegetables are devoid of Vitamin B12
- Drugs: Metformin, Omeprazole, Cimetidine, Ranitidine, Antibiotics.
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as chronic pancreatitis, atrophic gastritis, small intestinal resection or Stomach surgery, gluten enteropathy, Crohn’s disease and malignancy.
What are natural sources of Vitamin B12?
Animal products are the main natural sources of Vitamin B12. Plant derived food is devoid of Vitamin B12. Good dietary sources include egg yolk, salmon, crabs, oysters, clams, sardines, liver, brain and kidney. Smaller amounts of Vitamin B12 are also found in beef, lamb, chicken, pork, milk and cheese.
2. Folate (Folic Acid)
Folate and folic acid are used synonymously. However, there is a slight difference. Folate is what is found in nature. Folic acid is synthetic. It has to converted to folate in the body to be active.
Folate is an important factor in the synthesis, stability, and integrity of DNA. Folate is in particular important for the formation of red blood cells, metabolism of iron and an amino acid, called homocysteine. It is also important for neurotransmitter in the brain and fertility in men and women. It is also important for the neural tube formation in the fetus.
Folate Deficiency can cause:
1. Increased risk for heart attack, stroke
2. Increased risk for dementia
3. Increased risk for colon cancer
4. Folate deficiency can also result in fatigue, anemia, sore tongue, and depression, infertility and congenital defects in the fetus
Foods Rich In Folate:
Folate is largely found in plant foods, especially green vegetables. Foods rich in folate are: Spinach, Lettuce, Asparagus, Brussel sprouts, Okra, Mustard greens, Collard greens, Beets, Cauliflower,
Lentils, Beans, Sweet peas, Oranges, Avocados, Nuts and Seeds.
You may need folate supplement:
- If you consume alcohol excessively.
- if you do not eat green leafy vegetables regularly.
- If you take medicines that can cause folate deficiency. These are: metformin, anti-seizure drugs (such as phenytoin and carbamazapine), methotrexate, sulfasalazine, triamterene, GERD medicines (such as omeprazole, cimetidine, ranitidine), and tetracycline antibiotic.
4. If you have a malabsorption syndrome such as Crohn’s disease, Celiac disease, chronic enteritis and other malabsorption syndrome.
- If you are about to get pregnant, or you are already pregnant.
- If you have genetic defect that decreases the conversion of dietary folate into Active folate (5-MTHF). You can choose to have genetic testing for MTHFR. However, if you have elevated homocysteine level, you can presume that you have MTHFR defect. In either case, you need Active folate (5-MTHF) as well as Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B6. You can monitor your homocysteine level to make sure that it comes down with treatment.
Methylcobalamin, 5 MTHF Combination to Reduce Elevated Homocysteine Level
Elevated Homocysteine level is linked to increased risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, dementia, Parkinson’s disease and insulin resistance (1, 2). Studies have shown that Active folate (5-MTHF) as well as Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B6 can lower homocysteine level and may reduce the risk of these disorders.
- Qin YY1, Wang P2, Qin JQ1, Wei AQ1, Huang P2, Lai ZF1, Lin FQ1.Prevalence of hyperhomocysteinemia during routine physical examination in Guangxi Province, China and related risk factors.J Clin Lab Anal. 2017 Apr 10.
- Herrmann W1, Lorenzl S, Obeid R.[Review of the role of hyperhomocysteinemia and B-vitamin deficiency in neurological and psychiatric disorders–current evidence and preliminary recommendations]Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr. 2007 Sep;75(9):515-27.[Article in German]
Search Dr.Zaidi’s Articles
Search High Quality Vitamins
Vitamin D3 Supplement may be a life saver for you - Wake Up
Stress Buster - Ashwagandha And Holy Basil
Glupride multi - Alpha Lipoic Acid-Chromium Picolinate-Cinnamon
Vitamin K2: Amazing Effects on Bone, Heart, Diabetes.....
Magnesium Glycinate - The Best Magnesium
Zinc, Copper Supplement Combination
Methylcobalamin, 5 MTHF Combination - ZARY
DiaHerbs - Herbs for Diabetes